This recipe is a delicious Colombian specialty. A great side dish for any lunch or dinner. Boiled potatoes smothered with a rich cheese sauce. It’s my favorite way of eating potatoes and I’m sure you’ll find it easy and yummy to prepare.
Makes for 4-5 Servings
- 2-3 Pounds Small Potatoes of Choice (red, russet, jarred)
- 1 Small Onion, diced
- 3 Scallions, white part chopped to cook and green part chopped for garnish
- 1 Tomato, chopped (can substitute for 1 can)
- 1 Tsp Chili Powder
- 1/2 Tsp Cumin
- 3 Tbsp Butter
- 1/4 Cup Cilantro, Chopped
- 3/4 Cup Heavy Cream
- 1/2 Cup Mozzarella Cheese, Grated
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
I used small jarred potatoes which are already cooked, so I drained and rinsed them under water. If you’re using red/russet potatoes scrub them clean with skin and place in a large pot of salted boiling water. Cook until tender. Drain and let cool slightly.
Melt the butter in a medium to large size skillet. Saute the white part of the scallions, onions, the cumin, and chili powder till translucent. Then add diced tomatoes and cilantro and cook until tomatoes are soft.
If you’re using red/russet cut them into wedges and arrange them on your serving platter. I kept my potatoes whole since they’re really small. Pour sauce over potatoes. Garnish with chopped green part of scallions.