This rice is a must in every Ecuadorian home on Christmas Eve. It’s colorful and delicious to eat. The rice is cooked in coca-cola (yes the soda) for color and taste, the walnuts give a nice crunch, the raisins give a settle sweetness, and the ham is oh so juicy. So go on and spice up your Christmas a bit with this exotic rice.
Makes for 8 Servings
- 3 Cups Extra Long Grain Rice, rinse if needed but I didn’t (I use Carolina Enriched Rice)
- 1 1/2 Cups Coca-Cola
- 2 1/2 Cups Water
- 1/4 – 1/2 Cup Raisins (eye-ball how much you like in rice)
- 1/4 – 1/2 Cup Walnuts, Chopped (” “)
- 1/4 – 1/2 Cup Ham, Diced (” “)
- 1 White Onion
- 1 Green Pepper, half chopped for cooking and other half for garnish
- 1 Yellow Pepper, half chopped for cooking and other half for garnish
- 1 Red Pepper, half chopped for cooking and other half for garnish
- 4 Tbsp Canola Oil
- 1 Tbsp Unsalted Butter
- Salt, to taste
Preheat pot to medium heat (where you’ll cook rice) melt butter and add in the canola oil. Cook veggies the onion, red, yellow, and green peppers (refrito) for about 2-3 minutes.
Add in the rice and toast with the veggies for about 1-2 minutes. Add in the coca-cola and water. Season mixture with Salt (eyeball to how much you like). Then raise the heat to high, let it boil until it’s visible to see the rice and then cover and bring heat to medium-low. Cook for another 10-15 minutes.