!! Before scrolling down and ignoring this recipe. This is delicious! No worries, it doesn’t have that icky onion taste or doesn’t leave that smell in your mouth (trust me). It’s a savory side dish from Ecuador for holidays, parties, gettys, or just a dinner for the family. It’s cheesy which I’m sure you like….Right? Try this recipe out for these upcoming holidays…It’ll be a hit!
Makes for 6-8 Servings
For Dough: (Can use also store-bought pie/quiche dough, just roll out and place on top of filling)
- 2 Cups All-Purpose Flour and some extra so dough doesn’t stick.
- 2 Egg Yolks, beaten
- 2 Tbsp Heavy Cream (cold)
- 2 Tbsp White Sugar
- Salt, pinch
- 225 g (2 sticks) Unsalted Butter, diced (cold)
- PAM/Butter for greasing baking pan
- 2 pounds (3 big) White Onions, sliced
- 2-3 Tbsp Butter (for cooking onions)
- 3 Tbsp White Sugar
- 3 Tbsp Heavy Cream
- 1 Egg, beaten
- 1 3/4 cup white cheese (queso fresco), grated (can use mozzerella, swiss, or gruyere)
- 1 cup Parmigiano-Reggiano (Parmesan) Cheese, grated
In a bowl or on your kitchen counter combine the flour,sugar, and salt. Using a pastry scraper/blender, cut the butter into the flour mixture until mixture resembles a coarse cornmeal. Then form a well in the middle.
Add the egg yolks in the middle and using a fork, stir in the heavy cream just until dough comes together nicely. Form pastry into a semi-flat square and let chill in the refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit
Saute onions with butter in a pan until most of the moisture is evaporated, about 8-10 minutes. Then add in the heavy cream and sugar and let cook for 5 minutes. Onions will start to caramelize.
Take pastry dough out of refrigerator and roll it out onto a lightly floured work surface into a circle/square/rectangle a little bit bigger than your baking pan (I used a 9in round pan). Place filling in the pre-greased baking pan and top with the pastry dough. Design pie however you’d like with the extra dough (little leaves, hearts, circles, etc) Brush egg wash (1 egg and a little bit of milk or water) on top and bake for 40-45 minutes, until golden. Serve warm.
- Pâte Sucrée (deliciousparadox1213.wordpress.com)
- Cherry Tomato, Mozzarella and Zucchini Pie (deliciousparadox1213.wordpress.com)