This is considered a comfort meal in Ecuador. Mother used to make this whenever she didn’t have meat or poultry on hand. This soup is so delicious you’ll want seconds. Easy, comforting, and fast to make. A wonderful meal to keep you warm for winter.
Makes for 4-6 Servings
- 1 Tbsp Canola Oil (or Achiote Oil)
- 1 Tsp Annatto Seeds
- 1/4 Cup White/Yellow/Red Onion, chopped
- 2 Cups Water
- 8 oz Fresh White Cheese (Queso Fresco), cubed
- Salt & Pepper, to taste
- 1 Tbsp Dried or Fresh Oregano
- 6 Cups Milk
- 4 Slices of day old Bread (I used French baguette. You can also use Cuban, Italian, White Country…etc), cut 1-2 inch thick
- 2 Tbsp Cilantro, chopped
If you have Achiote Oil, skip this step. If not, In a medium-sized pot begin by heating the oil with the annatto seeds on medium high heat. Cook until the oil is orangish red. Remove the seeds and discard them.
Add in the onions and cook until translucent. Add in the water and bring up to a boil. Boil for 5 minutes. Then lower heat to medium and add in the milk, cheese, salt, pepper, and oregano. Stir to combine. Let simmer covered for 10 minutes.