This recipe is supposed to be a secret…But it’s so delicious I had to share it with you!! What makes this Colombian arepa so unique is that it has ricotta cheese. The ricotta gives flavor and a creamy in the middle texture to it. This is the perfect breakfast/brunch to share with everyone. It truly is easy, delicious, and worth it to make!
Makes for 4-6 Arepas
- 1 Cup Pre-Cooked White or Yellow Cornmeal (example: P.A.N. or Masarepa )
- 3/4 Cups Ricotta Cheese
- 1-2 Tsp Salt
- 1 1/2 Hot Water (I ended up using 1 Cup)
- 1-2 Tbsp Butter
Begin by adding the cornmeal, ricotta cheese, and salt in a medium size bowl. With one hand, mix it all together. Then with your other hand slowly add in the hot water until the mixture comes together like a pizza dough. Knead for 5-10 minutes until it becomes a soft dough. Let it rest in the bowl for 10 minutes with a damp paper towel over it.
Preheat your saute or grilling pan on medium. Divide the dough in 4 to 6 equal parts. Roll it into a ball then flatten it into an arepa. Round and 4-5 inch’s in length and however thickness you like. I like mine a bit thick….Once all arepas are formed, add the butter into your pan and let it melt. Add as much arepas as you can into the pan and let it cook 3-5 minutes on each side or until golden. Serve immediately with eggs any style and fresh white cheese.
- Green Plantain Pancake w/ Cheese and Tomato Scallion Sauce (Arepa de Platanos Verde con Queso y Salsa de Tomate y Cebolla) (ecualombian.wordpress.com)
- Recipe: Venezuelan Arepas (venezuelancooking.wordpress.com)
- La Arepa (venezuelancooking.wordpress.com)